Bentonite Clay is one of the healing clays that has been found to heal and detoxify the body. This type of clay is extracted from volcanic ash.
This clay is sometimes referred to as montmorillonite as this is the main component in the clay. Other components may include iron, potassium, silica, sodium and calcium. It also has several uses and of these uses is in skincare.
This product has the special ability of creating an electrical charge once it is mixed with water. The electrical charge created is able to draw out toxins and binds them to it.
At the same time, the minerals it contains are absorbed by the skin.
To obtain the amazing skin benefits of this clay, it is a good idea to make a bentonite clay mask.
What are 5 amazing skin benefits of using a Bentonite Clay Mask?
Here they are:
1. Draws out toxins – As mentioned earlier, a Bentonite Clay mask will help draw out toxins through the skin. The electrical charge produced by wet Bentonite clay is made up of negative ions that attract the positive ions in toxins and heavy metals, binding these toxins to it. Some to the toxins a Bentonite clay mask can draw out include plutonium and radioactive uranium and the heavy metals include lead and mercury. Toxins may cause premature aging.
2. Opens up clogged skin pores – Skin sometimes gets clogged by sebum, the oil that is naturally produced by the skin to keep it moisturized or prevent it from being too dry. Excess sebum production is the major cause of acne. When excess sebum is produced, it gets trapped in the pores of the skin creating a conducive environment for bacteria to thrive. The bacteria causes inflammation which results in pimples and blackheads. A Bentonite clay mask will draw excess sebum from the skin.
3. Tones and tightens the skin – Bentonite has astringent properties so it has the ability to shrink body tissues. This is particularly useful in dealing with enlarged pores. Enlarged pores are caused by the accumulation of oil and dirt in the skin, age (due to loss of skin elasticity) and sun damage. The skin mask will reduce the appearance of enlarged pores making skin seem younger.
4. Reduces blemishes – There are different types of skin blemishes which include skin discoloration, blackheads, uneven skin tone and age spots. Bentonite clay’s astringent and skin unclogging properties are the reasons why this clay mask can reduce blemishes.
5. Exfoliates the skin – Exfoliating skin helps it long young and more vibrant. This is because exfoliation removes dead skin cells which may cause pores to get clogged. Clogged pores may cause acne and skin blemishes. Skin exfoliation also reveals healthier looking skin as it encourages the renewal of skin cells.
How to Make a Bentonite Clay Mask
You can make a simple Bentonite Clay Mask by doing the following:
- Taking 2 teaspoons of Bentonite clay and adding some water.
- Mix the two ingredients together until the paste that is formed can easily be spread on your face.
- You can then apply the paste to your face and leave it on for about half an hour then wash it off with cool water.
- Pat skin dry and apply a moisturizer.
This clay mask can be used once a week or when needed to get rid of skin breakouts.