Dirt, dead cells, sweat, and oil—those are the culprits behind your acne. When they clog your pores, they cause irritation, infection, and, eventually, a nasty breakout.
So if you want to become totally free of acne and the acne scars it often leaves behind, then one of the most important things you must do as a part of your skin care regimen is find ways to fight clogged pores to lessen your chances of breakouts.
So…What Causes Clogged Pores?
Some of the main reasons that can cause your pores to become clogged are:
- Using products that contain pore clogging ingredients
- Hormonal changes
- Not removing makeup from your skin
- Trapped dirt and oil under the skin
- Dead skin cells
How to Fight Clogged Pores
Here’s what you need to do un-clog your pores…
Step #1 Get to Know Your Skin Type
The first thing you will need to know is your skin type. Keep in mind that while generic tips and products may give you results, only a product targeted for your specific skin type will help you achieve the best possible outcome.
This applies to all of the things you use on your skin like body wash, exfoliators, cleansers, and makeup.
To give you an idea, there are five basic skin types:
- Normal—this is probably the ideal skin type as it is neither too dry nor too oily. It tends to show minimal reaction to new products and often have a nice radiance to it.
- Dry—dry skin is generally dull and rough. With this skin type, you will find that it doesn’t show adequate elasticity, fine lines are more visible, and red patches are present.
- Oily—here, pores tend to be enlarged and the skin has a thick, shiny feel to it. It also tends to be home to a significant amount of blackheads, pimples, and other sorts of blemishes.
- Sensitive—this skin type is easily irritated, causing redness, itchiness, dryness, and a burning sensation.
- Combination—in this case, you may find one area to be dry while another is oily. In the face, this often ends with the T-zone (nose and eyebrow areas) to be oily while the rest is dry or sensitive.
Step#2 Daily Cleansing
Regardless if you are staying at home or going on an adventure every day, dirt and oil will always find their way to your pores.
That is why daily cleansing is of utmost importance. Make sure to completely wash off your makeup and use a deep cleanser day and night to avoid makeup particles from building up in your pores.
Avoid constantly touching your face, pin your hair so it doesn’t frequently brush with your skin, and wash your pillowcases and makeup brushes regularly, too, to keep your skin clean and clear.
Tip #3 Use Pore-Friendly Beauty Essentials
Having known your skin type, you can now start looking for beauty essentials like toners, creams, and makeup.
Although different skin types require different kinds of products, products containing the following will always beneficial for improving your clogged pores:
- Non-comedogenic—oil free products that will reduce oil on your skin without making it too dry or rough
- Witch hazel—it cleanses the skin and helps reduce inflammation and bacteria
- Salicylic acid—it moisturizes the skin, eliminates dead skin cells, and encourages skin cell regeneration
Tip #4 Exfoliators, Masks, and Peels
While cleansers may be able to get rid of the dirt on the topmost layer of your skin, they may not be able to reach as deep into your pores as you might want.
That is where exfoliation comes in. Not only does it stop dead cells from clogging your pores, but it also makes your skin clearer, smoother, and more radiant.
You might also want to consider masks and peels as well as cleansing devices like Clarisonicas they are recommended for cleaning and moisturizing all skin types.
Tip #5 Facial Toners
Another way to improve your clogged pores is through using pore refining toners. Currently, there are facial toners available that you can pick up from your local drug store or online.
Some of the main ingredients to look for in toners for shrinking pores are: Vitamin C, Alpha and Beta Hydroxy, and Glycolic Acid. Just be mindful that when you use products with Alpha and Beta hydroxyl acids that you will need to use an SPF 15+ Moisturizer and sunscreen with it.
Improving your clogged pores is a step closer to getting clear and glowing skin. Start saying goodbye to your acne by following the tips we shared with you today.